Saturday, December 12, 2020

ESET stopped me getting mail

 Just a short note on my very recent experience (Today) with ESET for the first time since I installed is 6 or 7 years ago causing an email issue.  Normally I have email scanning disabled as I feel it is mostly more trouble than it is worth,  but today no email when I started Thunderbird.  Little did I initially think ESET was the cause.

Opened the error console (ctrl_Shift+J) cleared it and tried again. Absolutely nothing in the console,  no mail and I noticed nothing since the 1st of December.  So this is not a new problem,  but one I just noticed. 

A bit of googling led me to https://support.eset.com/en/kb7728-unable-to-access-or-receive-emails-in-thunderbird-with-eset-product-installed

By this time I had already entered an exemption for Thunderbird in the protocol scanning,  but it did not appear to be working.  So I followed the instruction on the article and still it did not appear to be working so like a poor copyist I am I tried the instructions again.  This time everything went red as ESET got all excited about disabling the protocol.  This went away when I re-enabled it. After that off and on again setting restatement mail just started coming in.  Hundreds of them for the past two weeks.  Sorry if you are one of those I have been ignoring.  But I probably did not have time to reply anyway.

Once I was getting mail I got one advising me that the Thunderbird support forum was inundated with users with very similar issues commencing on the 1st December.

4 comments:

  1. i know this is probably a silly question but why use ESET over other solutions :-) ? (e.g. built-in Microsoft Windows Defender)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just old school Roland. Firefox and Chrome being what they are I feel some form of second line protection is needed (Firefox allows web pages to just allocate memory until it is full and the program crashes so I really am not confident of what is happening under the hood). Plus I paid for a multi year eset licence some years ago when I had a whole network to protect and it has not expired yet. Renewal will be something I will have to consider carefully when it comes up. But of late I really have not had time for anything digital even as simple as rebooting my PC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ESET engineer uninstalled ESET from my PC, but Thunderbird still did not download my mail. Persisted with "connection was reset" error message. I am no going to try and clear ESET root certificates and reboot, and see if that will solve the problem. https://forum.eset.com/topic/26355-thunderbird-7843-email-fetching-problem/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete